Writing Blogs for the TalkIT Website
Here are some points on writing blogs for the TalkIT website. Writing and updating them is an important part of how we contact our audience. We want keep the content quality and presentation style high so visitors return. We also want to standardise the layout so it is consistent across the site. Take a look at existing blogs on the site. In this way TalkIT will have a recognizable style. The good news is the WordPress CMS has many good features that help create blogs. These are, of course, guidelines and not rules. As always use your own judgement. Please let me have any questions on this!
- Think about how the blog will appeal to our audience and communicate our values
- Write about the topics that will interest our audience
- Spell & grammar check content using MS Word, the paste text in to the CMS editor
- Include 300 to 500 words in blog
- Include 3 to 6 images in blog to add appeal
- Copy images to the media library, but edit filename, title, description & Alt Text to improve SEO, etc.
- Include titles and subtitles in the blog, formatted with heading 2 to heading 5 in Design view
- Break text in to short sentences and paragraphs for improved readability
- Use bulleted lists when appropriate for improved readability
- Add full stop (.) to end of text in bulleted lists when multiple sentences are used
- Bold selected single words for emphasis but not several adjacent words
- Use words for numbers from one to nine then digits from 10 upwards
- Include links to other parts of TalkIT website, but to retain visitors add only a few links to other sites
- Right justify and wrap text around images, rather than just centring them on blank lines
- Make the links and images open in a separate browser window to retain visitors
- Credit sources at the bottom of blog to demonstate our honesty
- The blogs are copyright to TalkIT, as stated in the contact page
- Add author name and date written at the bottom of blog
- Change the date and time of the blog as titles are browsed in date order
- Categorised the page as a blog in CMS
- Add SEO settings to blog page in CMS
- Initially, save page as draft, then email me so I can approve before publishing
- Enjoy being creative!
- We will answer only questions that are from our target audience.
- The ultimate aim of answering questions is to get visitors back to the website
- We do not have time to answer detailed technical questions
- We can answer more generic questions about learning technology
- If possible we want to use existing content on the website, there is lots
- The best way of doing this is to copy, but if necessary adapt the answer
- Answers can include links to relevant pages on the website